Install fails on Ubuntu 18.04.01 LTS

Dear Support,

I have followed the install guide for ubuntu 14.04, but the install fails first during cmake, failing to find doxygen, then during make at 16% with following message:

ole@ole-HP-EliteBook-2570p:~/meta/build$ make
[ 2%] Built target ExternalICU
[ 3%] Built target meta-util
[ 4%] Built target meta-utf
[ 5%] Built target meta-tokenizers
[ 6%] Built target meta-io
[ 10%] Built target meta-filters
[ 13%] Built target meta-corpus
[ 15%] Built target meta-analyzers
[ 16%] Linking CXX executable …/…/…/tokenize-test
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -licu
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
src/analyzers/tools/CMakeFiles/tokenize-test.dir/build.make:104: recipe for target ‘tokenize-test’ failed
make[2]: *** [tokenize-test] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:413: recipe for target ‘src/analyzers/tools/CMakeFiles/tokenize-test.dir/all’ failed
make[1]: *** [src/analyzers/tools/CMakeFiles/tokenize-test.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:129: recipe for target ‘all’ failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

I had the same problem. Reading through the output to see where the compile failed, it was not finding /usr/include/xlocale.h. I did a little research, and it seems that others have observed similar compile problems for other programs and solved it by linking /usr/include/xlocale.h to /usr/include/locale.h.

The command to do that would look like this:

ln -s /usr/include/locale.h /usr/include/xlocale.h

After that, I was able to successfully test the install and all 287 test succeeded.

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing. This worked perfect for me!!! :grinning::hugs:

Thanks for the tip! I tried to install the Meta-Toolkit on Mac OS 10.12.6, Mac OS 10.14.5, and Windows 10 unsuccessfully. Using your tip I was able to install Meta on an Ubuntu 18.04 VM!

I would love to get it running natively on my Mac instead of a VM, but no one on the forum seems to know how to do that. I am grateful for your help!

Thank you! I was able to install meta-toolkit on Ubuntu 18.04.03 by following “Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Build Guide”. All 287 tests run. 287 succeeded.